bigwolfoncampus.org | Forum | Random Noise | Death
bigwolfoncampus.org » forum » random noise » death

Author   Thread: Death 
    4-17-2007  2:07 AM  
 EyeSpy88
 User

Jan. 16, 2007

Weird thing happened.
Someone I never even met died, in my hometown, and it has pretty much affected my entire social core from that town. The people I care about hurt because one of our friends' dad died.
So I spent some time thinking about death and the terrible feeling oyu get in your gut when you love someone and you know that no matter how much you're there for them there really isn't anything tangible you can do to make it better when they're grieving... And how sucky it was that I wasn't even in town to help at all.

And then the Virginia Tech thing happened today. And I was like... "Fuck, man."
Because as terrible as it is, I don't think I would have felt to bad about it if it weren't for what Crystal told me last night.

...She found his body, and held his hand while it got cold...

Nobody deserves that.

And the kids on the news didn't know if it was someone they knew or not, because the kin hadn't been notified and they couldn't find their friend...

And it's just shitty.
And now we all hurt. Because Crystal's dad died. And I feel utterly useless because like, what the fuck can you do to help your friends when you live so far away?

...I was also a little surprised there was no mention of the shootings on here... You guys -must- have heard. It's the big story up in Canada, I can't imagine what it's like down there.

This post was sort of all over the place but... basically, I'm sad for my pal.
    4-17-2007  11:16 AM  
 Spooka Lupa
 User

Jun. 13, 2002

I know how you feel. It's hard to comfort someone who is grieving even if you're sitting right next to them, because no matter what you say, there's still some distance between the two of you and a wall that's hard to break down.

As for the Virginia Tech shooting...I'm completely floored. I read a little bit about it yesterday morning, but the headline had only read that 8 students died by that time...I had no idea it would be as historical as it turned out to be. 32 people. 32 people were wiped off the face of the earth because of one student. I can't imagine how terrifying it would be to be chained into a classroom from the inside, watching the people around you die and looking at that gunman's face.

I hadn't posted about it because...it's a hard thing to talk about, and there's not anything you can think to say beyond the obvious. The Columbine school shooting anniversary is coming up...I don't know if it relates to the timing of this shooting or not, but I think it's something else to think about.
    4-17-2007  1:16 PM  
 Duckarooni
 User

May 10, 2002

When I first heard about the shooting I thought of the Columbine one. I don't think they are related in anyways either but it's just weird that they happened one week apart almost. The Columbine shooting actually happened on my birthday (because it was Hitler's birthday). One of my friend's dad also died a couple weeks ago. She's not one of my close friends but it is still hard. I think she is coping with it well though.
    4-17-2007  1:27 PM  
 Dildo Of Doom
 Banned!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb. 14, 2002

Quote:

...I was also a little surprised there was no mention of the shootings on here... You guys -must- have heard. It's the big story up in Canada, I can't imagine what it's like down there.

Well... I personally didn't post anything because I don't care.
    4-17-2007  2:14 PM  
 Bodacious Ta Ta
 User

Jul. 15, 2002

I care, I just don't treat this forum as my personal journal. *shrugs*

my mind

"We're all gay inside."- Justin
"My man parts squee'd in happiness."-Justin
"You make God cry at his puny orgasm."-Justin in chat
"One liners are fun. Mine just shit genius."- me

4-19-2007  12:30 AM  
 medb_of_light
 User

Mar. 26, 2001

I didn't say anything because its being shoved down your throat so much. Yeah its a big damn deal. But its too soon to be shoving cameras into the faces of people that were there and what not. I hate it when the media does that because there is no time for the people involved to let go.

4-19-2007  12:51 AM  
 Lucifer
 User

May 12, 2005

Okay, before you read my little anecdote, note that I do care what happened. It sucks, yes. I would feel horrible if my friends were killed by some crazy little loner. I understand. Not trying to make light of it. But the thing that really pisses me off is how the newscasters are just eating this shit up like cake. "Shooting on a campus? Hot dog I can buy that porsche this month!"

They don't give a shit. That's why they won't stop talking about it. It's everywhere because they're making money off it. Even today there was a report where someone said "he's reaching out from the grave, making us pay attention to what he had to say."

Exactly. Fuck him. Ignore him. You're doing exactly what he wanted. Making a big hype of it. Fucking pigs.

And one of my friends said he had heard the phrase "biggest massacre on a school campus", but no. I heard at least three times "biggest massacre in recent US history". So here is what happened while watching the new with my mother...

Me: Why do they keep calling it the biggest massacre in recent US history?
Mom: Because it all happened at once. Over thrity people were killed all at once, right there on that campus.
Me: Uh-huh. What about 9/11?
Mom: That was a terrorist attack.
Me: [blank stare]
Mom: It's different. 9/11 was because of terrorists.
Me: It was giant massacre with a plane and a building. Ooh, yeah. Big difference.
Lucifer
 [edited by Lucifer on 04-19-2007 12:56 AM]
    4-19-2007  1:06 AM  
 Dildo Of Doom
 Banned!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb. 14, 2002

Quote:
"he's reaching out from the grave, making us pay attention to what he had to say."

Uhh. No, considering he sent the materials before he died. That's such an emo-retarded statement.

I heard "biggest shooting in US history," I don't know if that's accurate or not. I don't pay a great deal of attention to this sort of stuff, so I don't know if there's been a bigger shooting.

Edit: It looks to me like it really is the biggest shooting in US history. All the others, except for ones committed by militia (which I'd say doesn't count here-- one or two people committing a massacre vs uh...many more) only killed people in groups of around 20.
 [edited by Dildo Of Doom on 04-19-2007 01:14 AM]
    4-19-2007  3:33 AM  
 Lucifer
 User

May 12, 2005

Yeah, different people are saying different "biggest blahblahblah in US history" but the ones I heard were ridiculous.

And I was just rambling about my bitter hatred of news.
Lucifer
    4-19-2007  10:19 AM  
 Mar
 User

Dec. 5, 2006

You know you've been paying attention to too much news from Africa when you hear "32 people" and think it's a very small number... kind of sad, really.

I've heard about it in various places, which is actually surprising because I'm at a university and thus in a bit of a news vacuum. I don't really know many details apart from the numbers, however.