bigwolfoncampus.org | Forum | Random Noise | Still alive!
bigwolfoncampus.org » forum » random noise » still alive!

Author   Thread: Still alive! 
    4-27-2018  1:43 PM  
 Loup
 User

Dec. 13, 2000

Man, posting here is retro af! I sometimes forget this place is here, and today is a day of boredom for me. I'm at work, I should be changing stored procedure calls on class files, but I'm instead bringing up the past. So much has changed for me over the past... holy shit 17 years! This year, I will have been a member of this forum for half of my life. I joined this site when I was a junior in high school, now my friends have kids that are starting high school. I feel so old now at 35.

Looking back on some of the old posts, it's hard to believe that's me posting. Ah my young adult personality, forever enshrined on this forum... at least for now.

I've gone from IT technician to software development, so it's been quite a ride! I'm in a much happier place in my life now than I was for most of my 20's and the first part of my 30's. There have been tragedies and wonders, new friends, lost friends, coming to terms with myself... Just so many things.

The biggest life-changing event was losing my mom back in 2014, then my uncle, then my dog, then my best friend. It seems that as you get older, dealing with death becomes more of a reality than when you are young. Every one of us here that have posted have struggled in our lives as some point, or are still struggling to this day.

There are a lot of you that I wish I could talk to again, but I have no way of reaching you. I know people from this forum look on here every now and then, sometimes once a year or once every 2-4 years, but hopefully I can reach out to you guys and see how you are doing. Even those I wasn't so nice to, as I'm sure we've all matured and leveled out over the years. It would be interesting to see what everyone is up to now, and see what curve balls life threw at you guys on your journey.

I don't have facebook or social media, but my e-mail is loupokami@gmail.com. Feel free to say hi!

Hugs for everyone
    6-23-2018  4:16 PM  
 Adam
 Webmaster

Jul. 17, 2000

Hey, I'm in software development too! Not that you'd know it from this site, which has gone essentially untouched for I don't even know how many years. In a way, Big Wolf really did change my life. I had two extremely easy classes to finish in a college summer session, the campus was basically deserted, nothing was going on, all of my friends were back home, so I passed the time by teaching myself how to make a database-driven website. That's still what I'm doing all these years later, for USA TODAY. (I'm not typing it in all-caps for dramatic effect. It's in the style guide. It's drilled into my brain.)

It's bizarre thinking that Big Wolf's twentieth (!) anniversary is less than a year away, and if this site were a person, it'd legally be an adult next month. I started this site when I was 21, and I turn 40 in November.

I'm married now. We'll celebrate our fourth anniversary in September. We just built a house (or, well, we paid people to build it. You know what I mean!), and we've been here since January. I have a proper home theater at long last (5.1.4, although we wired for 7.2.6 if I get squirrelly.). I've been reunited with a roomful of instruments I don't actually know how to play -- everything from a bank of Moog synthesizers to a theremin to an accordion to the weirdest, most unusable effect pedals the world over. No kids, probably ever, but we're looking at getting a Cavalier King Charles spaniel sometime next year. I work with my wife, which is awesome, even though everyone always assumes it's some waking nightmare whenever they first hear about it.

I don't have a lot of jaw-droppingly amazing stories to tell. I was flown out to L.A. as a featured panelist at a He-Man and the Masters of the Universe convention last year, and I started writing a column about ridiculous movies streaming on Netflix/Amazon Video for High-Def Digest, but other than that...? I'm pretty boring, but I'm happy.
    8-03-2018  11:34 AM  
 ranranami
 User

Aug. 13, 2006

I'm not sure when I joined. Judging by my avatar, I'd say probably some point around 2007-2012--which is painfully broad, I know, but it's still been quite some time. If it was '07, then I have since graduated high school, got my Bachelors, took a break, and am working on my (hopefully) last year of grad school before I can proudly say my student loan debt is above average.

I was really into webcomics when I joined, I remember that much. I even ran a few. A couple of bad reviews bruised my ego, so I mostly moved on from there. I joined an improv troupe for about 6 months when I was getting my Bachelors only to be thrown out before our first live show because myself and all the new members just didn't 'fit'. They basically didn't want more than one woman in their boys club. That was the most dramatic thing to happen until I lost my great grandmother in 2015 and drunkenly got a Freddy Krueger tattoo to remember her by.

Working full time (usually 50 hours) at a pretty large wine/liquor/beer store, taking my grad school classes online, idly running a horror blog every now and then when I want to post vintage comics, running a (semi)weekly horror podcast to go with it. Am trying to convince my co-host Big Wolf on Campus needs a feature, but not until I can get him to actually watch all the old uploads on YouTube.
    8-07-2018  5:43 PM  
 Adam
 Webmaster

Jul. 17, 2000

Quote:
I'm not sure when I joined.

Summer o' 2006!

What podcast are you a part of? I'm a lifelong horror fanatic (just got The Changeling in the mail today and should have What Have They Done to Your Children? in a few days), so I'll give it a listen for sure.
    8-23-2018  9:45 PM  
 ranranami
 User

Aug. 13, 2006

Holy cannoli! Wow! Time sure flies!
    8-23-2018  9:46 PM  
 ranranami
 User

Aug. 13, 2006

Oh, sorry, didn't see the second part of your post. It's 'The Hallow-Holics Anonymous Podcast', with myself (Maddy) and Corey. At the moment. Have had multiple hosts, but Corey's sticking.